Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The one with the marble cake

When I was a kid, my grandmother did a lot of baking. One of my favourites was her marbled cake. I made this one last weekend. I used her recipe, but added some grounded almonds to give it some va-va-voom. 

 

What you'll need for this marbled cake:

  • 175 grams sugar
  • 175 grams selfraising flour
  • 50 grams of grounded almonds
  • 4 eggs
  • 200 grams of butter, in cubes and softened
  • 40 grams of cocao (unsweetened)
  • pinch of salt
  • 7 tablespoons of milk 



How to make it:

Start by preheating your oven at 180 ˚C. Mix the butter and the sugar with a handmixer, until creamy. Mix in the eggs one by one, together with five tablespoons of milk. After that, add the almonds, flour, and a pinch of salt and mix some more. When you're done with all the mixing, pour half of this mixture in a buttered tin. Add the cocao to the rest of the mixture, together with two tablespoons of milk. Pour this on top of the 'plain' mixture that's in the tin. You can stir a bit, if you like to, but I didn't bother to do so. Bake for 50 minutes, but start checking with a wooden pin after 40 minutes. 



 I couldn't decide which picture of the ingredients I liked most, so here's one more.  



13 comments:

  1. This looks awesome and not too difficult, I might try it.
    I love cooking, but I don't do sweets that much. I'm sure this cake is lovely with coffee and cream as an afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marble cake is my all-time favourite for everyday! Yum!
    I like the addition of ground almonds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this sounds so good! I love all of your photos, too. Those are the prettiest prep bowls I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I definitely want to try it, though I'm awful at baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love marbled cake!! It's making me hungry right now. Haha. Also, your photos look lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It tasted very good, I know because I taste it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking marble cake. Perhaps I should roll my sleeves and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! And I love those little silver containers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful tribute to your granny. Edible histories are some of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh yum, this looks delicious! Its so lovely to make recipes from childhood isn't it, the taste takes you right back there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your picture of the ingredients is so pretty! The cake looks delicious, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments