Thursday, January 8, 2015

The one with all the hats

The sunday after Christmas me and my friend R. decided it was time for a bit of a fieldtrip. It had snowed and the roads were very slippery, but that didn't stop us! First we had coffee and sandwiches at Credible (highly recommendable, you can have breakfast for dinner, woot-woot!) right across the road from the museum. After all the yummy food, we slid to the other side of the street, and started our visit with the exhibition we came for. One of the temporary exhibitions showcases a collection of hats, designed by Dutch designer Marianne Jongkind. I loved the different shapes, colours, materials and textures. Makes me wish I was more of a hat person, I would totally rock that merry go round one! In case you want to enjoy these hats, and want to pay the museum a visit, there is some need to hurry, it's up until the 11th of January.







Another exhibition showed how life was during WWII in my hometown Nijmegen. I didn't feel it was appropriate taking pictures at this part of the museum. There is a video made by the museum that gives an impression of what can be seen over here. The end of the exhibition was used to commemorate unidentified war victims. At a large table, you could take a sheet of paper and fold a boat, and add these to the other visitors' creations.




18 comments:

  1. Those hats are so beautiful! And I think those paper boats is such a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger I had an obsession with hats! I've still kept a few.
    Your town has so much to offer - I really need to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love this exhibit! A hat exhibit came to a local museum a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The hats displayed covered many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these hats, they are gorgeous and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cool exhibition! The merry-go-round one is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dat ziet er leuk uit en fijn zo'n expositie zo dichtbij huis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those hats are amazing! Here in the US, every spring, there's a big horse race called the Kentucky Derby and one of the traditions is that the women race goers wear outrageous and beautiful hats (like Ascot race in England). These hats from the museum would be the stars of the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit those races, just to watch all those extravagant creations!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant! The carousel hat is awesome but I do love blue and orange together so that hat is definitely my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish hats were more popular here in the States. Occasionally people in the South will wear them to weddings, but that doesn't really happen where I live. :-(

    When my sister and I were in Toronto, we went to a shoe museum! It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shoe museum sounds like fun! In Amsterdam is a bag museum, lots of fun to see how many different kinds of those there are. Maybe we should just go out there and wear hats, maybe we'll set a new trend :-)

      Delete
  10. My favorite with red pickaboo from the black leather... gorgeous!!! I also was obsessed with origami one time and when I was teaching art at school my favorite lesson was those origami hats!!! I think I can folded it with my eyes closed :) ... Marieken, Thank you so much for your gorgeous present it is so sweet of you! The fashion vintage card will be in my inspiration wall forever! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love hearing that you liked it! Never knew you were a teacher, I would have loved to learn a thing or two from you.

      Delete
  11. Visiting museums, something I've been wanting to do. Most of my friends aren't interested.It's really great if you have friends who share your interest.

    The paper boats are love! You know, I used to love paper mache and origami. I would buy those colored papers, follow the patterns, tie a string and hang them in my room. Only to later find out that my mother removed them. Hahaha My mother thinks I'm just collecting trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes go to a museum by myself, if no one is interested to join me. As a kid I used to fold lots of those crane birds!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a great day! I'm hoping to get out with a friend for a whole day at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! I really enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and comments